12/22/2012

WInter Rescue Readiness.... Are You Ready to Sleep?


It is important to remember that all active FSAR members are required to be self sufficient in the wilderness for a minimum of 24 hours. We need to assume that ANY rescue call we get at this (short daylight) time of year, will require us to spend the night outside; it could be 40 degrees and driving rain or -20 in deep snow, high winds and at 3500 feet. Are you ready? Does your ready pack have enough gear to allow you to set up or construct a reasonably warm shelter?  

FSAR does not require you to carry a bivy bag (like Baxter SP) or a tent or tarp. We expect that you have developed and tested a system that works well for you.

In the comments section of this blog post, please share a few of your tips, ideas or personal best practices with the team. I will add them to the post as we get them. FSAR blog readers (600-800 hits each month) are notoriously poor at commenting on blog posts... it is easy and quick.


Just click 0 comments

Question: What tips, ideas or personal best-practices can you share about sleeping outdoors in the winter? What works for you?

1 comment:

Chris N. said...

I like to fill up my thermos with boiling water before I go to bed on cold nights. It provides a warm drink in the middle of the night if I need it. In the morning, I pour a little hot water into a double bagged ziploc bag and stuff it in the toes of my boots before exiting my sleeping bag. After a few minutes I remove the baggies and slip on my boots. This makes my boots warm and flexible to put on and ensures my toes don't cool trying to warm up my boots. Cheaper than commercial heat packs too.